In 1920, The 2nd pro-gymnasium that was situated in the lower Sanciai part was not able to accommodate all students. Therefore, in 1925, while dividing slots of Fanstilis slopes, school director J. Eidukus managed to get a 2 ha plot for the new school building. The territory is in a beautiful place of a former oak valley, with a view of the city. In 1938, a new, spacious, modern Kaunas 6th State Gymnasium opened its doors on one of the highest hills of Sanciai. Its project was prepared by the famous Kaunas' interwar architect - Stasys Kudokas.
The main southern facade of the building faces the street. From there, a wide and high staircase leads to the main entrance which is also decorated with columns, natural stone plasters and an original detail decoration from Stasys Kudokas - tulip. On the eastern facade, there's a vertical series of round windows, while on the western side of the school, a semi-cylindrical staircase with a dynamic row of square windows stands out. The sports field is found on the north side of the school. The three-story building of the gymnasium surrounds a semi-enclosed courtyard. There are two halls in the western building: a two-story sports hall and an assembly hall on the 3rd floor. More than 600 high school students started studying at the gymnasium. There were 16 classes and 30 teachers working here.
In 2015 the building has been awarded the European heritage label. The school has changed its name several times and the most recent name adopted now is KTU Vaizgantas pro-gymnasium.